For the past 25 years, GBGR professionals have advised clients in the acquisition of very large international and domestic private placement life insurance policies. GBGR’s insurance group, with the technical and analytical support of life insurance industry veteran, Bob Chesner, possesses unparalleled expertise and experience in the rapidly growing private placement life insurance marketplace, which positions it to deliver the very highest level of service in this area.
The firm recognizes that estate planning in the high net worth market is evolving beyond the traditional role of implementing planning strategies that reduce taxes at death to encompass the broader and more immediate issues of investment and income tax planning. GBGR assists its clients with the purchase of private placement variable life insurance as an investment-oriented strategy that can dramatically improve the tax efficiency of a client’s investment portfolio while providing meaningful tax mitigation strategies at the insured’s death. Leslie Giordani and Bob Chesner are the co-authors of Bloomberg BNA’s Tax Management Portfolio 870, 1st, “Private Placement Life Insurance and Annuities.” GBGR’s position in the private placement life insurance arena has also resulted in the firm advising both non-legal providers of private placement life insurance services as well as the investment managers who seek to participate in this growing marketplace. Specifically, GBGR’s insurance team regularly counsels sophisticated asset managers and wealth advisors in the establishment and operation of insurance dedicated funds (IDFs) and their relationships with insurance carriers.
Please note that GBGR is not an insurance broker and only provides legal and non-legal advice on insurance matters; it does not sell or place any insurance or investment products.
Leslie primarily represents high net worth individuals and family offices in a wide variety of legal matters. Her particular focus is domestic and international trust, investment, and life insurance structures.View Attorney Profile
Michael represents high net worth individuals and family offices in the design, implementation, and administration of domestic and international trust, investment, and life insurance structures.View Attorney Profile
Lauren focuses on the design, implementation and administration of domestic and international estate and business plans for GBGR’s clients.View Attorney Profile
Bloomberg BNA’s Tax Management Portfolio
- Partner Leslie C. Giordani and Director Robert W. Chesner, Jr. co-authored Bloomberg BNA’s Tax Management Portfolio 870, 1st, Private Placement Life Insurance and Annuities.
- Planning for Uncertainty: Private Placement Life Insurance for Taxing Times, Offshore Investment, October 2012, Issue 230, Robert W. Chesner, Jr.
- The Cash Value Beneficiary Defective Inheritor’s Trust—Creating a More Flexible and Comprehensive Wealth Accumulation and Retirement Plan—Advanced Planning Issues: Part 2—Current Issues Regarding the Valuation of Life Insurance Policies and Advanced Wealth and Retirement Planning with Private Placement Life Insurance, New York University Review of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation-2011, 2011, Leslie C. Giordani, Robert W. Chesner, Jr.
Originally appeared in the compilation New York University Review of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation—2011, published in October 2011 by LexisNexis Matthew Bender. Compilation © 2011 New York University.
- Why Investment Advisors Need to Know About Private Placement Life Insurance, Investments & Wealth Monitor, January 2011, Robert W. Chesner, Jr.
- Private Placement Life Insurance: A Cornerstone of Financial and Estate Planning for the High Net Worth Individual, The WealthCounsel Quarterly, April 2010, Leslie C. Giordani & Robert W. Chesner, Jr.
- Using Life Insurance and Annuities in U.S. Tax Planning for Foreign Clients, BNA Tax Management International, March 2010, Leslie C. Giordani, Michael H. Ripp, Jr., & Mari M. Reed
- An Elegant Solution, STEP Journal, February 2010, Leslie C. Giordani, Michael H. Ripp, Jr., & Mari M. Reed
- Private Placement Life Insurance: A Diamond in the Rough, NAIFA’s Advisor Today, January 2010, Robert W. Chesner, Jr.
- Recent Developments Affecting Hedge Fund Investing Through Private Placement Life Insurance, The Insurance Tax Review, October 2003, Leslie C. Giordani
- Offshore Life Insurance Planning for U.S. Clients, ACTEC Notes, Summer 2000, Leslie C. Giordani & Derry W. Swanger
- Private Placement Life Insurance: Income and Estate Tax Planning for Wealthy Families
- Private Placement Life Insurance Questions & Answers
- PPLI Tutorial
- PPLI Descriptor (MEC/7% return)
- PPLI Descriptor (non-MEC/7% return)